Baltimore Ravens 2013 Team Preview
July 23, 2013 | Chet
Welcome to our 2013 Ravens Team Preview. To get a better understanding of what each NFL team might be up to this season we are asking local team bloggers to answer a few questions for us. We talked to Phil Gentile from I Hate J.J. Redick.com to get the inside scoop. Follow him at @iHateJJRedick and check out his site.
1. Probably the biggest fantasy question for the Ravens this season revolves around the work loads of Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce. He did see a slight drop in usage last season, but do you see this as inching toward a committee or is it being overblown?
Here is what we know…..the Ravens love Bernard Pierce and he will most likely get an even bigger role in 2013. He had 108 carries last season and I can see that increasing to around 150 with addition action in the passing game. Ray Rice is still a 1st round talent but I foresee a 65/35 split this season, with Rice seeing his usual 50-60 catches out of the backfield.
2. Joe Flacco finished the season strong last year. Of course he led his team to the Super Bowl, but also had startable fantasy numbers. Do you feel like he can build on that finish and be a useful fantasy quarterback?
With the depth at the QB position I don’t see Flacco as a starter in 10 or 12 team leagues. Rodgers, Peyton, Newton, Brees, Kaepernick, Luck, RGIII, Russell Wilson, Romo, Stafford, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, etc. He will have some good stat lines along the way but he doesn’t put up consistent production week in and week out to be someone I would be comfortable starting on my fantasy squad.
3. Torrey Smith has a ton of talent and is always capable of a huge game, but his stats are inconsistent. Do you see the departure of Anquan Boldin helping to even out those inconsistent games?
I could definitely see Torrey Smith getting a serious increase in production. The rest of the Ravens receiving corp is average at best yet Jim Caldwell will put an emphasis on the passing attack. He’s a quality WR2 with the potential to end up as a top 30 fantasy receiver if the chips fall where they should.
4. Dennis Pitta is getting a lot of fantasy buzz with Boldin gone. He seems like he’ll be a consistent player this season, but what do you think the best case scenario is for him?
Pitta will be Flacco’s go-to possession receiver with Boldin gone. I like him for 85-90 receptions and double digit touchdowns. Still think he’s going too low in PPR mock drafts. I am targeting him in all my leagues and that’s not because I’m a Ravens fan trust me.
5. What player or players do you have your eye on this training camp who might be able to make a name for themselves in fantasy circles?
Ed Dickson had 54 catches in 2011. I think he could reach that production again with the lack of receiver depth he could be on the field in two tight end sets quite often this season. I could never bring myself to draft Jacoby Jones again. He burnt me too many times while he was in Houston. Supposedly the coaching staff loves Tandon Doss. He was inconsistent during spot duty during the team’s Super Bowl run but he has the potential to be a bye-week fill in for fantasy owners by midseason.