2QB League Rankings: Week 1
September 3, 2014 | Joe Siniscalchi
Hello 2QBers! The season is nigh and draft season is winding down. Here at The Fake Football, however, we are gearing up to help you achieve lineup nirvana week in and week out. This season, I’ll be putting a different spin on traditional rankings. While I will be ranking quarterbacks from 1-32, I will also rank them as tiered QB1s and QB2s.
This week’s 2QB play of the week is Geno Smith. At home against an Oakland Raiders secondary that is starting Tarell Brown and Carlos Rodgers, I like Smith’s chances of putting up near QB1 numbers. There aren’t many great streaming options this week, but I think Smith certainly will finish as a fringe QB1 thanks in part to his newfound knack for running the ball. Keep in mind last season, he put up 25 points against them. 220 passing yards, along with 35 rushing yards and a pair of scores would be a fine outing for a QB2 that many will let ride their bench.
The Elite of the Week
1. Drew Brees (@Atl) – Brees should torch an improved but work in progress defense.
2. Peyton Manning (vs Ind) – Another Luck-Peyton shootout makes happy fantasy players.
3. Aaron Rodgers (@Sea) – Seahawks are scary, but so is the Green Bay offense.
4. Matthew Stafford (vs NYG) – Giants have improved secondary, but still lack pass rushers.
5. Andrew Luck (vs Den) – Last year, threw for only 228 yards, but had 4 total TDs.
Locked and Loaded at QB1
6. Tony Romo (vs SF) – San Francisco isn’t as stout on defense as you think.
7. Colin Kaepernick (@Dal) – Kaep averages a full 8 ppg more against bottom 16 defenses.
8. Matt Ryan (vs NO) – Usually has an uptick in volume against NO. Expect nothing new.
9. Tom Brady (@Mia) – All signs point to Gronk playing week 1. The on field bromance is real.
10. Russell Wilson (vs GB) – RW has been scorching in preseason. No signs of slowing down.
11. Jay Cutler (vs Buf) – The loss of Jairus Byrd cannot be understated enough against mammoth WRs.
12. Cam Newton (@TB) – I’m not confident with this ranking. Banged up and a sneaky improved D.
13. Robert Griffin III (@Hou) – He will be running a ton to escape J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney.
14. Nick Foles (vs JAX) – Foles has looked very average in preseason.
15. Philip Rivers (@Ari) – Wouldn’t be surprised if this went to a shootout.
16. Carson Palmer (vs SD) – The Cardinals seem ready to go with a healthy Michael Floyd and Larry Fitz.
17. Alex Smith (vs Ten) – Not the sexiest play this week, but you definitely could do worse.
A Fine QB2
18. Geno Smith (vs Oak) – I wouldn’t be shocked if Geno puts up QB1 numbers this week. Looks like a new man.
19. Ben Roethlisberger (vs Cle) – Last 2 years, Ben has struggled against Browns.
20. Joe Flacco (vs Cin) – Tough matchup here, but I think the Ravens come out swinging behind Gary Kubiak and the revamped offense.
21. Andy Dalton (@Bal) – Dalton has been sharp thus far, but tough to trust him here.
22. Ryan Tannehill (vs NE) – I’d avoid if possible. Revis Island awaits.
The Low End QB2s
23. Jake Locker (@ KC) – Love the weapons, and KC D overachieved in 2013.
24. Ryan Fitzpatrick (vs Was) – I don’t think he’s as bad as the preseason suggests. Perfect matchup for him to prove doubters.
25. Eli Manning (@Det) – Will see pressure all day. Don’t trust him at all.
26. Josh McCown (vs Car) – A tough matchup on paper, but certainly not insurmountable.
You Must Really Be Struggling
27. Brian Hoyer (@Pit) – Played decent in 2013, but didn’t have a great camp/preseason.
28. Matt Cassel (@STL) – This game will be a defensive battle.
29. Chad Henne (@ Phi) – Jacksonville will look to control possession by running the ball a ton.
30. Shaun Hill (vs Min) – Won’t be nothing more than a game manager.
31. EJ Manuel (vs Chi) – This would be an easy matchup for a QB that was semi accurate.
32. Derek Carr (@NYJ) – A rookie making his first start on the road against the best defensive line in football, yikes.