Dreaming of Streaming Week 2: Advice from Vegas
September 13, 2013 | C.D. Carter
We’ve learned that defensive streaming options aren’t as thin as they seemed early this week.
The Panthers, Eagles, Ravens, Chiefs, Raiders, and in deeper leagues, the Saints, are all fine streamers for Week 2.
Vegas, at the moment, has whispered a word of caution in our collective degenerate ear. There are precious few games with low over-unders – a key element in planning our weekly streamers.
For the streaming record: Eight Week 1 games went over the official over-under, while eight games went under.
|Rams at Falcons||47.5|
|Chargers at Eagles||54|
|Cowboys at Chiefs||46.5|
|Dolphins at Colts||42.5|
|Titans at Texans||43.5|
|Washington at Packers||49.5|
|Browns at Ravens||43.5|
|Panthers at Bills||44|
|Vikings at Bears||42|
|Saints at Buccaneers||47|
|Lions at Cardinals||47.5|
|Jaguars at Raiders||39.5|
|Broncos at Giants||55|
|49ers at Seahawks||44.5|
|Steelers at Bengals||40.5|
Information courtesy of TheSpread.com
* That Raiders-Jaguars over-under is alarmingly low for those rolling out quarterbacks, wide receivers and running backs for what looks to be a defenseless game between two sad sack teams. I think Oakland’s defense is a fine play, even if this becomes a back-and-forth affair. There will be turnovers, as Chad Henne threw 11 picks in nine games last season. He’s a loose canon: a good thing for opposing defenses and Cecil Shorts.
* I think the Cowboys are walking into a big, red buzz saw this week. Arrowhead is the definition of a hostile environment, and the Kansas City defense is no joke. Last week’s destruction of the Jacksonville offense wasn’t a fluke; we’ll see that when the Chiefs’ defense is owned in most leagues by Week 3 or 4. Vegas disagrees, setting the over-under at a hefty 46.5.
* Hide your Giants and Broncos defenses. Store them away in the darkest corners of your fantasy bench and dare not lay eyes upon their Week 2 scores. You’ll vomit.
* Here’s a quick and dirty answer to the many questions I’ve received about using the Bengals’ defense this week: do it. They’re my No. 1 defensive play. Godspeed is you’re facing off against Cincy this week.
* I have the Eagles pegged as a top-10 Week 2 play, as they get a crack at the Chargers traveling to the east coast for a 1:00 start. Also, San Diego’s offense isn’t nearly as good as it looked early in the team’s Monday night season opener. Philadelphia’s defense was thrashed once Washington shifted into full garbage time comeback mode last week, which gives me some pause. The sky-high over-under of 54 is frightening if you think this will be a competitive game. I don’t.